Local Group Update – Megan Norlin
- I have been hard at work planning some leadership training for self-advocates and advisors, which will take place this fall. We plan to have two sessions. I’ll get more information out to you as soon as we finalize a venue. We had a great board meeting on the 14th of June and got a lot of great feedback on our outline for the event. Thanks everybody!
- We had a new group join the Alliance! Please join me in welcoming Friends Helping Friends Action Club! They are from Beardstown, IL.
- Here’s what the local groups have been up to:
- Speak out of Rock Island is still working to get a bus shelter put back up.
- People First of Illinois Valley is planning a baked good or candy sale fundraiser.
- CAPS is doing some volunteer work with Meals on Wheels and planting flowers.
- People First of Illinois is working on the R-word campaign, and they recently started their own facebook group, so be sure to check that out! Here’s a link: http://www.facebook.com/#!/home.php?sk=group_158575046229
- The Self-Advocates of Lake County are planning an event about raising awareness on disability, but they are having a hard time finding a venue. If anyone has any thoughts about places they could try, be sure to contact me and I’ll pass it on.
- If you have an update on your group, please let me know! You can reach me at email@example.com or call me on my cell phone at (815) 228-9829.
State Action Update – Terah Green
- Its My Life its My Direction Rally 2011 – Most of you know about the awesome rally we had on June 15th 2011 at the Double Tree Hotel in Bloomington, Illinois. There were close to 400 people that attended this rally to show their support for self-direction. During this rally we played a game, did a lot of skits, and made a big beautiful sunburst that showed how every self-advocacy group and other supporters can work together to make self-direction happen. This event was amazing and it showed that everyone wanted a change and wanted to make their life better. I hope that everyone who came enjoyed it and learned a lot! A big thank you to everyone that helped pull this event together. We will have more information and pictures in the Summer newsletter.
- The Illinois Council on Developmental Disabilities approved a grant to hire consultants to work on putting self-direction in the waiver! We are still figuring out the details and will know more in July.